The Largo theme has built in support for three sidebars and two footer widget areas:
Access and edit the these widget areas from the Appearance > Widgets menu in the left sidebar of the WordPress admin interface.
The three sidebars allow you to have different sidebar widgets on different types of pages on your Largo site.
- The Main sidebar is used on the homepage as well as on archive, author and search results pages.
- The Single sidebar is used for single posts and pages.
- The Topic sidebar is used on category, tag and custom taxonomy pages.
The two footer widget areas offer you additional flexibility in what appears in the site footer.
- Footer Featured Posts is a widget area for the center column of the footer. By default this displays a short description of your site (you can add and edit this in your Theme Options) and a widget that displays two posts you have designated by adding them to the Footer Featured Widget category (see our explanation of custom taxonomies to see how this works).
- The Footer Widget Area determines what will display in the far right column of the site footer. By default it will display a search box and a dropdown menu containing a complete list of the categories on your site.
To add widgets to any of these areas, simply drag and drop a widget from the area on left to the widget area you want it to appear in. Note that as soon as you add any widgets to a widget area, the default will no longer display so you will need to completely populate the widget area with the widgets you want to display. Many widgets will have additional settings you can use to configure how they appear on your site.
In addition to these widget areas, the Largo theme includes a number of custom widgets we developed to ensure compatibility and consistent display.
- Largo About allows you to add a short description of your site to the sidebar or footer. This will pull in the site description from your Theme Settings so you should make sure you have completed the initial site setup before adding this widget to any of the widget areas on your site.
- Largo Donate allows you to insert a short message encouraging people to donate and support your site. In addition to the call to action text, it will display a button that, again, must be configured in your Theme Settings before it will work properly.
- Largo Follow displays RSS, Facebook and Twitter follow buttons in any widget area. Again, you must have added the relevant links in your Theme Settings for this widget to work properly.
- Largo Footer Featured Posts and Largo Sidebar Featured Posts allow you to show featured posts you have designated by adding them to the relevant custom taxonomy from the edit post screen. We recommend adding posts to these categories before activating the widget to ensure it will display properly. Additionally, if you set featured images for your posts, these widgets will display an appropriately-sized thumbnail images. We recommend adding a featured image wherever possible to your posts to make these widgets as visually engaging as possible.
- Largo Recent Posts functions similarly to the featured posts widgets but instead just displays a designated number of recent posts from all categories on your site.
- Largo Twitter allows you display a Twitter widget showing either most recent tweets by an account, by the members of a list or for a particular Twitter search term.
NEXT: Activate Plugins