Project Largo is a WordPress theme framework developed by the Investigative News Network. Largo incorporates a number of features from NPR's Project Argo but includes a number of additional features to make it easier to set up and configure, and makes it more flexible and better suited to long-form journalism.
- Responsive design to accommodate a variety of devices, screen sizes and resolutions (mobile, tablet and desktop)
- Three homepage layout options (blog, newspaper and carousel) to support different news site presentation needs
- Highly-configurable responsive navigation menus built with the needs of news publishers in mind
- Built-in support for donate buttons, social media links, Google Analytics and other functionality that would normally require additional plugins
- Support for custom bylines and author profiles to allow for greater flexibility in attributing posts to members of your organization (or outside organizations) as well as the ability to add additional contact methods and social media links for each regular contributors on your site.
- Fancy post formatting including pull quotes, images and slideshows with captions and credits (requires activation of the Argo Slideshow and Argo Media Credit plugins), ability to break articles into multiple pages, heading and body text optimized for readability and support for a variety of embedded media (some requiring additional plugins)
- Integrated support for Open Graph, Twitter Card, Google rel=author/publisher markup, hnews and hcard microformats to ensure optimal presentation of your content when shared elsewhere on the web
- Curated list of plugins for add-on functionality such as enhanced editorial workflow, search engine optimization, caching and backup and more sophisticated comment management
- And much more!
You can download the latest version (currently still in beta) of the Largo parent theme from github.
- Adam Schweigert, Lead Developer
- Jessica Plautz, Communications & Engagement Manager (INN)
- Kevin Davis, CEO (INN)
Largo relies on the work of a number of other open source projects and libraries including NPR's Project Argo, Twitter Bootstrap, LESS CSS, the WordPress Options Framework and the TGM Plugin Activation library.
Funding for the project was provided by Investigative Newsource board member Karin Winner.